Tuesday, August 23, 2011

weddings, earthquakes, and other stuff

I did not finish a dress to wear to my cousin's wedding. Instead I wore a Tahari dress and took a bunch of pictures of family. Can you believe this is only a few of my cousins? We were joking all weekend about how crazy huge our family is.

IMGP7617

My parents also celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary the night before my cousin's wedding. Happy Anniversary, mom & dad!

IMGP7488

So, did all you East Coasters feel the earthquake this afternoon? I was sitting in our company's cafeteria, eating a late lunch, when I felt the floor and the big wooden table I was at start shaking, and I KNEW what it was. Honestly, it really freaked me out. I was on the 9th floor of a very old brick building in Seattle in the 2001 Nisqually quake (6.9, baby!), and saw the building get trashed around me - broken pipes, air conditioning ducts ripped out of their mounts, collapsed shelves, broken glass, all that fun stuff. My mom called this evening and asked if I had felt the quake, and then asked if I was OK. I had to tell her that I really had hoped to never experience another quake again in my life. This one was pretty tame, though, other than the crazy surge of "oh no not again" it produced in me. ;) In fact, after our building was evacuated, I may have sounded like one of the jaded West Coasters in this NYT article.


3 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Okay was I the only person in NYC that did not feel the earth shake? And on top of that our building wasn't evacuated!!!

Elaray said...

You look so much like your mom! I love big family get-togethers! The bigger the better! Glad everyone had a good time

Carol said...

You look lovely in that dress. Congratulations to your parents - 40 years - wonderful! We rarely get earthquakes here in Australia, although the area I have just moved from was a giant volcanic caldera, so you never know when one might happen!