Saturday, November 13, 2010

a new winter coat for Kate

I haven't finished the trim for my niece's military jacket yet, but this weekend I decided I'd start on a new winter coat for her.

I bought this lining fabric at Joann's about two years ago:
lining fabric

and I bought this fabric from Mood about 3 years ago- it was $40/yard, so it's one of the most expensive pieces of fabric I've ever bought. But the instant that I saw it, I knew that it had to be made into a sweet little coat for one of my nieces!

polka dot herringbone

The fabric's reverse side is kind of neat looking as well:
fabric reverse


I'm using BWOF 11-2010-147, from the newest issue. You can see a picture of the pattern on the german site. And here's the line drawing:

coat pattern

So far, I've cut the fashion fabric, fused the bodice pieces to woven fusible interfacing, and sewn up the lining. Let me tell you right now what's not going to happen: welt pockets (I'll put them on the side seams instead). No way am I messing up $50 of fabric with imperfect welt pockets!! ;)


This project is reminding me why I love sewing little girl outfits, they go together so incredibly quickly. The lining just zipped together in a few minutes!

1 comment:

BeeBee said...

Are you going to use the "wrong" side of the fabric anywhere? Like the underside of the collar? Or the tabs?