Saturday, June 6, 2009

1960s A line dress - Vogue 6924

After a few years, I've FINALLY finished this dress. My aunt gave me the pattern in october 2007.

Dress Pattern

It's really beautiful, and was actually the first pattern I ever saw with stitching lines marked on it! I actually started a thread on Stitcher's Guild with a photo of a pattern piece, asking what in the world those crazy inner black lines were. ;-) Shortly after that, I made a muslin and had my mom fit the bodice. Then I cut out the dress from some black stretch twill with white dots woven into it- from Parons, and it was marked as a How & Wen fabric. It has a nice weight, hefty enough that you don't feel like the skirt is going to flying up, but light enough to drape well. The all in one arm/neck facing is cut from some bright pink silk. Then I stitched the dress up, pinned down the facing and left it. Literally, it was hanging 3 feet from my sewing machine from October 2007ish until this afternoon- I finally pulled it off the hanger and hand stitched down the facing inside (I should have interfaced the silk, but I didn't, and it was threatening to slide around and flip out). Then I hemmed it with bias tape, since I knew if I was going to hand sew the huge skirt it would take another year or so to finish it!

Here's a photo:
1960s vogue pattern

SO glad to have finally finished this up- it was probably my longest lived UFO! I really like wearing it, so hopefully it will get some use this summer. With a cardigan over it, it should be pretty wearable for my office for the summer. I wish I had an occasion to wear the longer dress to- I'd love to make it up in a silk twill or something, but I can't say that my life calls for any floor length gowns outside of Halloween. ;-)

Here's the envelope back:
Dress Pattern envelope back

I didn't really follow the directions for the dress, but they're really detailed and have you underline and everything. If I find the right fabric, I'll do it up again the "right" way with the underlining and everything.

9 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Oh, that is so cute!

Anonymous said...

That dress is super cute! I can't believe you let it languish for so long. ;) It looks very swishy. I bet it's fun to wear. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So cute! You should post it on Sew Retro. I am loving vintage lately.
And long dresses are the rage! You could easily wear it in the summer if you made it in a breezy cotton...I am making my second maxi dress!

Antoinette said...

Cute cute cute! Love them with the patent Birks, too.

Claudine said...

Love the square-ish neckline!

Shannon said...

You really should have finished this dress up sooner because it is wonderful on you - very flattering! I am putting this pattern on my wish list now - thanks for the inspiration.

Gwen said...

What a beautiful dress! :)

Christy said...

I love dresses like this one! very nice!
I did notice that fabric requirement you were asking about the Knipmode dress. I have some fabric that's about 6 or 8 yrds that I've been sitting on for awhile now and it's time to cut it up!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great contemporary take on a vintage dress! You look fantastic in it!