After a few years, I've FINALLY finished this dress. My aunt gave me the pattern in october 2007.
It's really beautiful, and was actually the first pattern I ever saw with stitching lines marked on it! I actually started a thread on Stitcher's Guild with a photo of a pattern piece, asking what in the world those crazy inner black lines were. ;-) Shortly after that, I made a muslin and had my mom fit the bodice. Then I cut out the dress from some black stretch twill with white dots woven into it- from Parons, and it was marked as a How & Wen fabric. It has a nice weight, hefty enough that you don't feel like the skirt is going to flying up, but light enough to drape well. The all in one arm/neck facing is cut from some bright pink silk. Then I stitched the dress up, pinned down the facing and left it. Literally, it was hanging 3 feet from my sewing machine from October 2007ish until this afternoon- I finally pulled it off the hanger and hand stitched down the facing inside (I should have interfaced the silk, but I didn't, and it was threatening to slide around and flip out). Then I hemmed it with bias tape, since I knew if I was going to hand sew the huge skirt it would take another year or so to finish it!
Here's a photo:
SO glad to have finally finished this up- it was probably my longest lived UFO! I really like wearing it, so hopefully it will get some use this summer. With a cardigan over it, it should be pretty wearable for my office for the summer. I wish I had an occasion to wear the longer dress to- I'd love to make it up in a silk twill or something, but I can't say that my life calls for any floor length gowns outside of Halloween. ;-)
Here's the envelope back:
I didn't really follow the directions for the dress, but they're really detailed and have you underline and everything. If I find the right fabric, I'll do it up again the "right" way with the underlining and everything.