Thursday, September 11, 2014

Work clothes

Caroline posted a while ago about sewing bloggers who post "work clothes" and how rare they can be. So this is my little addition to that genre, which started with a black elastic waist skirt. I know, you can see nothing in this photo other than that I'm wearing something vaguely skirt shaped in black.
I had a meltdown the night before my first day as a law clerk intern this summer in D.C. - I've only ever worked as a software developer (blue jeans every day), but law in D.C. is a pretty formal field, even though my dress code was going to be business casual. I used Simplicity 2211, which has now become my go-to skirt pattern, as you can really fine tune the fit with all those seams.
This one was made out of a mystery black material in my stash, which has an almost faille like texture to it. No idea when or where I bought it. I zig-zagged in an elastic waist, wore it to work the next day, and have worn it several times a week since then. It's a workhorse.
I also ended up making two versions of Cynthia Rowley's dress pattern, S 2281. The pink dress was the first real outfit I made on my new serger! I really like this pattern, but then I'm very partial to raglan sleeve styles.
I used the lining bodice front pattern piece as the outer bodice front for this one, because I wanted to try it without the neck gathering.
I love the pleating on the sleeves, although it's hard to get a good photo of. Basically you pin in two tucks, then top stitch to hold the tucks in place.
So, there you go- a smidge of business casual work appropriate sewing.

2 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You were a very well dressed summer law clerk! These are great dresses!

ACorgiHouse said...

Boy, time flies. Looks like the perfect things to get started in a new genre of work. Congrats! K