Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A raincoat

This is me, about to head out on an exciting trip to Target with the sailor. In my finished Minoru Jacket!
hood
Yes, at long last I've wrestled the heavy canvas into a suprisingly water resistant jacket. Not super water proof, because it's only cotton and I didn't tape the seams, but it works well enough to run to the train in a rain shower. The canvas is from BJs and it's been lightly treated to be water resistant - water will bead up on it and run off pretty easily.
I apologize for the crazy photos... my sailor does many things well (ship handling, dealing with my mother, making me laugh, making tasty scrambled eggs) but taking fabulous fashion photographs of finished garments is maybe a smidge outside his skill set. ;)
minoru4
I did not shorten the arms here, having had a disaster in the past with too-short arms on a coat. I wanted to wait and see what they would really look like. So... next time, I will fold about an inch and a half out of the upper arm, where you can see it bunching up on me.
You can see here how "poufy" the collar is with a thick canvas hood stuffed inside.
minoru3
I did a little tweak to the inner pockets and made one a zip pocket... modeled on one of my favorite parkas. The inside zip is great for holding a metrocard and some cash and is easy to access.
minoru
I lined it in cotton solely because this print reminds me of clouds and I loved the idea of a cloudy lining to a rain coat.
lining
I will definitely be making another one, probably with a lighter material. Several years ago I bought some thin silvery blue poly rain coat material in Paron's Annex, so I might use that, underlined with something a bit beefier like flannel. I think this coat really needs a material with a little bit of body. In addition, next time I will shorten the sleeves and add some inseam pockets.
The part that I was most freaked out about, sewing the elastic waist, turned out to be the easiest. It was a little tricky to thread the elastic through with just a safety pin attached to pull on. But the casing came out straight - the lines I marked with a chalk pencil did not, as I'd feared, entirely rub off during construction. Yay!
The sewing was a pretty long process, and I did goof up a lot in other spots. If you look you'll see that one of the plackets is not straight and nicely squared off at the bottom (ooops), and the top stiching was a little wonky in places. However, overall the coat came out pretty nicely.

10 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Its beautiful!

SEWN said...

Love the lining! The coat is super cute.

Antoinette said...

The cloud print lining is perfect! What a great raincoat.

SewMentalMama said...

Lovely jacket, I think I prefer it in a solid - like yours! Silvery blue sound perfect for a raincoat too.
Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

StephC said...

This looks amazing, you did a gorgeous job. I really like the lining!

Lisette M said...

Great job Wendy! Love all the details.

Sophia said...

Love the coat and especially the lining! That zipper pocket is also very handy.

I have the same problem with putting the hood into the collar on my Minoru. I'll just leave it unzipped and unrolled.

Congratulations on the coat! I've been enjoying seeing everyone's versions

SueC56 said...

Love that lining!

Marie-Christine said...

Taping seams is only useful if the fabric is waterproof, otherwise it'd be an exercise in futility :-). Love your lining though, how appropriate and cheerful..

Joy said...

This looks fabulous. I'm sure it will be very useful!