You might recall from way back in January, when I first made the muslin of this pattern, that I was going to have to solve the Pocket Problem. Aka, this skirt pattern had no side seams... just a front panel, and a combined side/back panel. I'm happy to report that I have inserted a side seam now, which means I can have POCKETS. The skirt line did look lovely without a side seam, but no pockets is a dealbreaker for me, so our wedding guests will just have to suffer the horror of seeing seams down the side of my skirt. ;)
And here is a quick shot of what will be the lace top attached to the pleated skirt from the vintage Simplicity pattern. My right side, which is the left side of the photo here, has all the adjustments I've made so far. The dart is running a bit too high here, so I'll lower that, and make a few more small tweaks.
When this project was started, all the modifications were being transferred to the paper pattern. At this stage I've been tweaking directly on the muslin, and so it is now my pattern. After I took this photo, I took a seam ripper to it and extracted the right side. Then I cut on my last seam line to cut off the seam allowances, and this will be the pattern for the lace top.
This is Vogue 2979 on the top, with the cap sleeves. The bodice will be lace underlined in silk organza, lined in silk except for the sleeves.
To sew the top, I'll cut front and back bodice pieces out of silk organza and the lining. Then the organza pieces will be laid under the lace and I'll cut out the lace, probably cutting around the motifs to do applique seams on the side. Here's my lace again- the rose motif is pretty large, so a regular side seam might look a bit weird.