Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Simplicity 8640 muslin

Here's my new sewing setup. Nice and simple so far. I'm being goofy and again hanging my women's college degree above the sewing machine. It makes me smile. ;) The other half the room is my sailors desk and his bookcases, and there's a nice corner of windows that is currently holding a pile of boxes but might someday have a sitting chair. If we ever unpack.

sewing room

So, here is the muslin. I didn't have any zippers here, so it's not closed in the back. And it was taken at an odd angle with a wide angle lens, so it's not the most flattering picture ever- but hey, are dress muslin photos ever all that flattering? ;)

simplicity muslin

I want to make a sleeveless version out of some blue voile from Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks line to wear as a sundress this summer, so I made the shorter length. I need to take in a little on the shoulders...other than that, maybe do a smidge of a SBA on the princess line. Anyone else see any adjustments I should make?

Again, here's the dress pattern:

s8640

3 comments:

KID, MD said...

Such a pretty design! It will make a lovely sundress. I just adore that waistline - so flattering! I agree that you could take just a tiny pinch out of the bust line, particularly since the princess line is not quite falling on your bust point. That should bring it in to where it should be.

Gail said...

You may get a better result cutting the top in a smaller size (to fit the shoulders) and doing a full bust adjustment.

SEWN said...

Yes, I agree with you on the fitting changes for the dress. I don't think I see the need for any other changes, but I am by no means an expert here. I love this dress. So cute.

FYI, I received the bathing suit pattern. Thanks! I loved the little stickers you put on the back of the envelope! ;)