Sunday, June 27, 2010

A pink birthday quilt

Just in the nick of time, I finished up the French Hatbox quilt for Kate's birthday. She had a bit of fun getting my dad to hold it up so that she could pose in front of it out on the lawn.

Kate and her grandpa
Kate and her grandpa
Kate and her grandpa
birthday girl
Kate and her grandpa

While I was quilting this, my sailor asked if the squiggly pattern of the quilting stitching was stored in the sewing machine, like the various zigzag and decorative stitches. He was quite amazed that you had to MOVE THE QUILT and make up the motion yourself to make the stipple pattern. ;) I thought that was hilarious... so I told my sister the story while we were sitting out on the lawn. And, of course, she says that she always assumed the same thing! Oh my. If only free motion quilting were so easy. ;) Kate adores the quilt... it was not a surprise for her, as she picked out the fabric and it's been in progress since March, so she's seen it plenty of times along the way. She did enjoy finally getting to hold it without all the pins in it at long last.

(The dress she's wearing is one I bought her 2 years ago, by Lucy Sykes. I love their dresses- so nicely made, and so classic!)

5 comments:

Gail said...

What a beautiful quilt. Your little girl will treasure this for years to come.

Gail said...

What a beautiful quilt. Your little girl will treasure this for years to come.

Lisette M said...

Gorgeous quilt! No wonder your niece loves it!

Stippling is a technique I have been avoiding...

Meg said...

That's beautiful! Great fabric combinations. I want to make another quilt soon.

Karin van D. said...

Gorgeous. I love the colours and fabrics. I can imagine she is very happy with it!