Tuesday, June 8, 2010

And..... we have a dress!

Sorry for the quick photo, but by the time I figured out my sailor's tripod, I had to run to work. Here is my Simplicity 8640 dress though. Fabric is two different colors of "Diamond Mine" from Anna Maria Horner's little folks voile, which was soooooooo nice to sew with.

Simplicity 8640

I didn't get a picture of it yet, but my zipper is a rainbow colored riri zipper which I found at Pacific Trim! You can't see it, but I love knowing it's there, and having a metal zipper makes it feel like a real vintage dress. The dress is unlined, so I'll wear it with a slip, and has a neckline facing. The very tip of the point where the bodice and skirt meet was sewn by hand. I got chicken about sewing that intersection on a machine.

This is the first non-muslin dress I've sewn in several months. I forgot what a nice feeling it is to end up with a garment you can wear. Between the light voile and the looser fit, this will be fantastic for the next 90F heatwave we get.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great summer dress! I keep hearing good things about this voile!

Faye Lewis said...

I like your dress too! The color and fit are fantastic.

Antoinette said...

Love that pattern, and how the gathering is all at the sides....

gMarie said...

Turned out fantastic! Can't wait to see what you turn out next. g

Anonymous said...

Now that´s a pretty dress! I love how the lower front is flat and all the volume is at the side. And that band at the hem is cute. Nice job!

Hanna

Karin van D. said...

Wendy, what a lovely dress. I think the fit is wonderful on you. Beautiful!

SEWN said...

I love your new dress. That is a flattering silhouette and the fabrics are so pretty!

Meg said...

Love it! Such a cute style.

lsaspacey said...

It looks great! So is it still in the running for "the dress" in white satin?

mjb said...

I love seeing how this fabric looks sewn up! So great :)

Denise said...

Love the pattern! So feminine and flattering.