Originally uploaded by wck
Here's what I spent my Sunday working on... a new coat, BWOF 11-2007-114. The pattern is for a princess seamed double breasted jacket with 2 piece sleeves and lapels and a collar.
The outer fabric is a thick coat weight camel colored wool from Ebad's (550 8th Ave) for a whopping $8/yard. Ah, I love the garment district. It's a beautiful wool... really thick, eases with no complaints and it's an amazing camel color. Which, of course, you can't see in these photos because the lighting is so bad. I already have visions of wearing this with long jewel toned gloves and my favorite black trousers.
I hand sewed (good lord) the lapels and collar because I've never been able to get that area to look good on a machine. It's so frustrating- very few things terrify me about machine sewing... except lapels. It was really sunny in my loft today, though, so I put on some music and camped out on the sofa and stitched it together. Once it was together, I ran over the very back of the collar and the lapel points with the machine just to reinforce them.
The lining is cut out, but not assembled, so that will probably be next weekend. I'm using a flannel backed pink satin for the lining since I had a large piece left over from some earlier coats.
The buttons will almost definitely be done by Jonathan Embroidery in the city (on w38th!). My current machine will do buttonholes-- if you are very very careful. The needle position switch is broken, but you can still adjust the zigzag width and density. So it's only a matter of marking carefully and manually adjusting for each step. Doable, but terribly nervewracking.