Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricanes & Halloween

I couldn't let Halloween go by without a little bit of sewing - Kate requested a "snow princess dress" and Ana wanted to be a 1940s nurse.

Ana has a book with a nurse in it who wears a blue & white striped dress, white apron, and an old fashioned nurse cap. I didn't find any blue & white striped material I liked, but I did remember that I had this blue & white checked silk/cotton fabric. I thought I would use that material & just make it a simple, nice dress that could be re-worn for parties and things.

Halloween Costumes

Kate's outfit was, of course, just going to be a Halloween costume so I bought some icky poly costume stuff at JoAnns, swore at it nonstop while I was cutting and sewing, and muddled my way through. It's OK, she loves how it came out.

Halloween Costumes

Halloween Costumes

I hope everyone survived Hurricane Sandy OK. I dropped my sailor off at his ship on Saturday night & haven't seen him since. I've gotten a few text messages so I know that he is OK, just very very very busy. We lost power for a little over 30 hours; I was prepared for that so I came through OK.

Our town had some flooding, but nothing like towns nearby. If you don't yet have power back, I hope it comes back soon!

Hurricane Sandy early morning in Jersey City


gMarie said...

Love the costumes. I'm glad you are safe and fared okay. I'm really thrilled to know your sailor is safe even if he's super busy. g

bowsprite said...

Hello! oooh, that last photo is so eerily familiar! all well? Sandy knocked my phone and landline out for almost 2 months. No complaints, considering how others fared. Just thinking of you, and wishing you and loved ones the best for 2013.

Patricia said...

I am glad you are OK.
I think it is very funny that your niece has a silk/cotton blend hallowe'en costume! I realize she will wear it again as a dress but still. Only someone with a doting aunt would have such a nice costume!