Sunday, September 4, 2011

Seeing Green

It's that time of year again... time to visit JoAnn's during the Labor Day sale and purchase sparkly cheap costume satin.

Fight with wiggly polyester...

And sew up Halloween costumes for the nieces!

Here's the pattern I used:


Ana asked to be Tinkerbell this year, so this is Simplicity 2872, a Disney fairies pattern. Honestly, I didn't look at the directions other than identifying which pattern pieces were necessary for view A. I ignored their facing pieces and fully lined the bodice. I'm planning to sew in a snap or two at the neckline to close it- the mantra here was "costume not couture!!" which I had to keep reminding myself of. The "leaf" shapes in the skirt were a little annoying just because there are eight of them and the poly kept threatening to melt onto my iron. And of course the crystal bits stuck to the underskirt made sewing the underskirt a massive pain.

The costume calls for sewing a green belt, but I'm fairly certain that my mom has some green grosgrain ribbon floating around, so I'll find some of that to use as a belt. And instead of sewing wings I will be buying some cute Green Pixie Wings for $6 from amazon. I figure that's worth it to not fight with wing construction!

Kate has asked to be a ninja - I might just make her black leggings, tshirt, and a ninja hood.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Very cute dress! I like that it's not pink, hehe. I'm sure she'll love wearing it.
I made this pattern several years ago. The wings didn't work at all for me, so good thing you ordered some instead.