Sunday, December 5, 2010

Burda 8292

We had a very Christmas-y day today, baking gluten-free christmas cookies and.... watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Twice. ;) Kate had never seen it before and I'm afraid that my sister is now going to shoot me because Kate LOVED it. She's seven, which is pretty much the target audience for that movie!

Christmas!
"Don't bother me, I'm busy watching the squirrel scene!!"

Gluten Free cookies!

I also did a whole bunch of work on my sister's coat. I'm using Burda envelope pattern 8292. The fusible hair canvas worked really nicely for interfacing the top- I block fused the entire top of the coat with it and gave the coat a nice heft. Then I interlined all the pieces with flannel. It took a couple hours to get to the point of constructing the body what with cutting each piece out of the wool flannel + hair canvas + flannel interlining + ambiance lining. This is what our entry way looked like all afternoon:

1291487350515

Here's the inside. You're looking at the flannel interlining, machine basted to the wool flannel fashion fabric.

coat innards


And here we have the outside constructed. My sister tried it on, and other than the pockets being a bit low, it looked pretty good on her.

burda 8292



And finally, my mom noticed that there was a bride in the NYT Wedding section this weekend with a short sleeved empire waist gown made by her grandmother. We were very excited because we rarely see this style in the real world- her dress looks beautiful & it made me think hard about using lace for mine.

2 comments:

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

What a pretty coat. I love the color and it has such nice lines. Your sister will love it.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Wendy - where did you order the hair canvas from? I missed that part! Your sister's coat is coming along great!