Saturday, April 3, 2010

A spring dress

A very short post to show a little dress I made for Kate...

fabric

I found this fabric at JoAnns a few weeks ago. It has bias strips, ribbons, and ric rac sewn onto some cotton lawn. The pattern is McCall 5793, and I used a blue floral for contrast upper yoke.

Here's a not so great photo of it hanging from the door handle, where you can see that I didn't quite get the neckline lined up in the back. Oh well! Her hair is long enough to cover it, so let's pretend I got it even.

spring dress for Kate

The pattern was very simple and straightforward to put together. I don't know about sizing yet, since my niece hasn't tried on the dress yet, but I made a size 6 which looks to be about her size. I didn't use the skirt pattern pieces, since I wanted to just use up the rest of the material - which made me end up with a VERY full skirt. That was fun to hem- I took the lazy route and did a very simple double fold machine sewn hem. ;)

Happy Easter to all!

7 comments:

Karin (the mrs) said...

Very spring-y indeed, with those colours. Cute. I bet she'll love it. Every little girl I know loves full skirts!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet dress! Where did you find that fabric? I love how you used it on the bias. I'm sure she'll love twirling in it.

KID, MD said...

Cute dress and nice use of that fabric. I wouldn't have known what to do with it, but this is perfect.

ACorgiHouse said...

Adorable dress! Good to "see" you back, been wondering how it was going. Happy Easter! K

Faye Lewis said...

Darling!

Vicki W said...

It's so great when you can get a fabric that does the work for you! With that fabric, this simple design is just perfect. It's adorable and I bet that if you purchased a dress that the back neck probably wouldn't be matched up either!

Uta said...

Very cute! I love white and blue, it's so summery!