The backing is a nice rocketship print quilting cotton, which I turned around to the front as a binding as well.
I've been saving "boy" scraps in a bin for a while now, so there were lots of strips to use. Here is the quilt before washing & drying:
And this is after washing, although the wrinklyness might not be all that obvious in the photo.
It took me a while to sort out how to hold the quilt to make nice curved shapes. I kept losing grip of it, and it would tug, and I'd get sharp edges in the stitching.
I got a bit better as I went along and figured out how to hold it more carefully.
Here it is waiting for the edges to be trimmed and the back turned up as a binding
All finished and wrinkly
This is Tom's easter present, so now I get to pet it on the sofa for a week or so before I have to give it up.